Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Conversation 3

Dear Lynn,
I am not sure I know what all your abbreviations mean but here, at long last, is a reply to your questions.

1. Why did you switch from clothing to breath sample? I wish I could say there was a great reason. I think I did it because everyone else was doing it and because people were reluctant to give me their clothes so I could cut them up.
2. How do you capture and preserve breath for sample? We use the the cotton thingy that a dentist puts in your mouth to keep an area dry when she works on your mouth. They resemble mini tampons. You can buy them in quantity. Our clients are instructed in how to collect the sample and I will attach the sheet we give them so you can review it. I am sure some people get the samples more wet and others give us a dryer sample.
3. When using clothing sample, did you ever create 2nd generation sample by hydration?No
4. When using clothing sample, you said that the sample was viable indefinitely.  How long were the cut pieces used in training viable?  I am currently keeping exacting records on this. Honestly, I have no idea about this. While I assume the way its stored would make a difference, I would not know. If we have a trained dog with us, we can test a sample but if we are in any doubt, we toss the sample.
5. What size pieces did you cut from the original? Its been a very long time Lynn and I can barely remember what happened yesterday but I think I used a sample about the size of a finger (for lack of a better analogy). 
6. What was your method of presentation? I no longer recall what we used to do. I can share what we do now. Its with the breath sample but you could do it with the clothing too. Assuming you are talking about the original presentation of the scent, we “show” the dog the scent and he sniffs it because that is what dogs do. We click and treat. We continue to charge the scent for about a minute and do 2 or 3 sessions. If you want to more about what we do after that, let me know.
7. Did you ever use containers when working with the dog?  If so, what kind and how? We use containers very briefly after the scent is charge and before it goes on our body. We have an X shaped fence in our training center so we shove some paper cups into the Xs with a small hole in the bottom. We place scent in one cup and the others are empty. We walk the dogs along the fence and see if he “notices” the scented cup. If he does, we wait a sec for a bump, which is our alert. If he doesn’t bump but has noticed the scent, we cue it. We do this a few times until the dog starts alerting naturally. Then the scent goes on us and is started in a place the dog will find it easily. For example, if we are wearing shorts, we will put the scent in a rolled up cuff near the knee which is right at dog height. Easy access for a nose.

I am happy to explain additional protocols if you like.

Sorry about the long delay. Its just crazy busy all the time.

Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment