When doing the Seizure Alert Project, we primarily used saliva sample for all of our testing, but we also tested using skin swab AND clothing worn next to the skin during a seizure. All proved to be consistently viable. At that time, Rachel (Thornton) was my primary reference and I closely followed DAD training protocols.
I am now training my own personal seizure alert dog (one of Rachel’s labs) after losing my former seizure alert/response dog, Lily. I am seeking information for myself. I have retired from my work with an organization.
Having access to training scent sample is difficult and I am fortunate having one reliable resource. The family also has a SDiT. They are successfully using clothing sample. And are providing clothing sample to me. During the SAP they were our primary source for saliva sample.
1. Why did you switch from clothing to breath sample?
2. How do you capture and preserve breath for sample?
3. When using clothing sample, did you ever create 2nd generation sample by hydration?
4. When using clothing sample, you said that the sample was viable indefinitely. How long were the cut pieces used in training viable? I am currently keeping exacting records on this.
5. What size pieces did you cut from the original?
6. What was your method of presentation?
7. Did you ever use containers when working with the dog? If so, what kind and how?
Here is a link to the Seizure Alert Project. http://testingseizurescent12.blogspot.com
It is not very user friendly, unfortunately, but you are welcome to any information contained there.
Phase 1 contains all of our testing information and documentation.
Phases 2-4 address the training protocols. Raya, my SDiT, is Dog 15. And this is the phase that addresses all of our conversations and questions I am asking you.
Thanks again for your cooperation.
Sincerely,
Lynn Shrove
TRAINER NOTES: 7/12/19. Forwarded this same letter to Peggy.
7/12/19
Yikes, it totally slipped by. Let me give it some time this weekend.
TRAINER NOTES: 7/12/19. Forwarded this same letter to Peggy.
7/12/19
Yikes, it totally slipped by. Let me give it some time this weekend.
So sorry Lynn.
Peggy
Peggy Law
Executive Director
Service Dogs of Virginia
PO Box 408
Charlottesville, VA 22902
434-295-9503
servicedogsva.org
Because life can change in an instant
Executive Director
Service Dogs of Virginia
PO Box 408
Charlottesville, VA 22902
434-295-9503
servicedogsva.org
Because life can change in an instant
No comments:
Post a Comment